Friday, July 25, 2008

And now back to the rewind... We Boarded that Flight

 
With Chris's confidence we boarded our flight some seven and a half hours after saying that prayer in our driveway. We were finally on our way. Germany, Almaty, Ust Kamenogorsk here we come... 
Posted by Picasa
(photos taken at JFK)
The flight to Germany was long, and the realization that we were leaving the USA hit hard when all communications from the pilot and flight crew were first given in German and then the English translation followed. This was our first flight over seas, each moment and experience an adventure. Until now we didn't factor in the anxiety we would experience not being able to understand or speak the language. A humbling experience to say the least.
We settled into the small uncomfortable seats, and eventually sleep came. After arriving in Germany, and a 3 hour layover we boarded the next flight to Almaty which would land at midnight Almaty time.
As we spent many hours on the plane, I continued to journal to a child who's face had changed 4 times in 14 months and now was replaced with a blur of total uncertainty. This was the epitome of blind faith. As the hours passed and the barrage of thoughts continued to inhabit my consciousness, just as a storm ravaged ocean churns, when the storm passes and waters calm, clarity emerges. During our flights to Ust Kamenogorsk the clarity that emerged for me was, we had weathered our storm, and the love in my heart was prepared to love what ever child would be presented to us.
My journal began the year before, as my first gift to my daughter. I wanted her to have a sense of who I was, and how I felt about her before she entered my life. Because she was adopted I wanted her to have a glimpse into what the journey to her had entailed. The only way I knew to convey these emotions and events were to keep a journal. I prayed my words, which would be read by my daughter many years after they were written, would be a comfort to her when, intellect collides with emotions as she ponders her life story.
Today as I re read my journal entries written just 2 years ago, and I relive each twist, and turn, and tear that culminated into great joy, the journal itself documents Gods presence throughout our journey and just how miraculous his blessings are. We all, including our daughter came to experience how relinquishing control, and accepting Gods plan in faith, sustains you during some of the most painful moments of loss and profound uncertainty.

Next stop Almaty Kazakhstan at midnight.....

No comments: