Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Laura Cleaves

 
 
 
Posted by Picasa




Laura Cleaves was the Santa Barbara's DA's Investigator assigned to our case against AIP and Orson Mozes. The legacy she leaves is one of service and dedication. In the short amount of time I spent in conversation with Laura, her dedication was apparent. She left nothing to chance, and covered all bases. I know for a fact this case in particular had touched her very soul because of the depth of the emotional pain inflicted on the victims.
For us the victim's we lose Laura's passion. However, I know the colleague's she leaves behind will, out of respect for her legacy dedicate themselves to this case with the tenacity that Laura did. A phone call I received from Patrick McKinley (the assistant DA) on 5/2/08 at 6:15 pm NY time to inform me personally of Laura's death convinced me of that tenacity. Mr McKinley's voice was somber, and I knew in speaking with him, his heart was heavy with grief. Laura obviously had the love and respect of her colleague's. Bear in mind this phone call was less than 24 hours after Laura was killed out on the highway in California. Mr McKinley wanted to assure me, and all the AIP/Orson Mozes victims that while we, and they lost Laura, (the lead investigator of our case) Laura had all her I's dotted and T's crossed.
My take on his call was that he was speaking to his departed colleague by reassuring the victims that she had served so diligently. I have no doubt our case is solid and Laura's colleague's at the DA's office will proceed with Laura's passion.
Tomorrow is Laura Cleaves funeral, and while we lost our investigator I remain mindful that Laura's family and her community lost so much more. Laura was a wife, a mother, a sibling and a daughter first. Her family and those who loved her are in my thoughts and prayers as Laura is laid to rest. I pray God's healing love surrounds Laura's family at this most painful time.
Thank you Laura Cleaves I feel blessed to have known you.

No comments: