Monday, October 29, 2007

When You Google.... International Adoption

I guess in a previous life one would have opened the yellow pages and found adoption under A. In 2005, a few strokes of a key board and the Internet blasts you onto web pages chock full of information about adoption, and much to my surprise also photos of waiting children all ages and ethnic backgrounds staring back.
I spent many hours reading and searching and wondering. I saw their faces, innocent children, and pondered their circumstances. How could so many be born into cement buildings with a probability of remaining there for their entire young lives. Never to experience that bond of unconditional love from a mother or father. A love that makes one feel special and unique. A love that nurtures and provides security. A love that anticipates ones needs both physically and emotionally almost automatically like an involuntary reflex. A whole population of children in waiting.
It was during this search on 5/9/05 I saw for the first time the face of baby 749 on Adopting.com. Her photolisting spoke to my heart. Could she be the daughter we were hoping to adopt? Was the process of International Adoption really just a click away? I studied her, read all her information and began to conceive the idea,the possibility that this child could become my daughter. What would it take? What were the rules? How do we start? Is this the way it is done? Internet adoption! Do we dare!
So I watched her photolisting, guarding it much like a mother guards her newborn. Checking every few hours making sure she was still there. I bookmarked Adopting.com so as to get back to the web sight even quicker. I was pacing, much like I did when I was in labor with my son Christopher only there was no accompanying physical pain. I stood watch over her for almost 4 days and nights logging many hits onto her photo listing. I was convinced each time I went to check on her she would be gone, but each time I booted up she was there. Her big beautiful sad eyes staring back at me as if to say "well what are you looking at, I am here, I am real and if you are really serious about wanting me then put your faith where you mouse is".
So I decided to show my baby 749 to my husband and tell him of my internet pregnancy. It was then he began to understand my frequent trips to the computer room. He asked why I didnt show him baby 749 sooner, as he also was taken with her. I told him because I was feeling a bit foolish. I wanted to see if she would be there online for more than a day or two. I couldnt fathom she would, and with each passing day my hope of adopting her grew.
As parents we knew we had to consult with and include Christopher in this life altering decision. He came in from school on or around 5/13/05 and both Chris and I sat at the computer an pulled up baby 749. Again she was there as she had been for almost a week. Christopher looked at her and then back at us and said "can we really adopt her?". The Young family read her photo listing together and then it was decided I was to place the call. My first conversation with Orson Mozes, the Director of Adoption International Program took place on May 14th 2005 regarding baby 749.

No comments: